Bainbridge Chamber of Commerce
General Clinton Park
The Park is our gift to area residents and visitors who come to enjoy beautiful Upstate New York. In the past, we have donated the park for a bottle drive, youth and school soccer programs, hosted Little League and softball, and invited countless joggers and walkers.
The General Clinton Park used to be known as Dix's flat. In 1972, the Bainbridge Chamber of Commerce purchased 45 acres of land bordering the beautiful Susquehanna River, now known as the General Clinton Park and the home of the General Clinton Canoe Regatta. It is located at the outskirts of town, going North on Route 7, just past the Bainbridge-Guilford Road entrance.
The Park as well as the Regatta is named in memory of General James Clinton of the 1779 Revolutionary War "Sullivan-Clinton Expedition" down the Susquehanna River.
general, b. Orange co., N.Y.; brother of George Clinton and father of De Witt
Clinton. He served in the French
and Indian Wars and early in the Revolution took part in the disastrous
Quebec campaign. His most noted exploit was his heroic but futile defense of
Fort Clinton (near Kingston, N.Y.) against the British drive up the Hudson
valley under Sir Henry Clinton
in 1777. James Clinton later fought (1779) with Gen. John Sullivan against the
Native Americans and served at Yorktown (1781)."
Currently, we are finishing the reconstruction of the Pavilion. The contracts for the Dog Show and FMCA (Motor Coach Association) along with some new camping associations for 2002. Company picnics, family reunions, and wedding receptions continue to enjoy General Clinton Park.
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.